More News (Forgiveness Foundation)
In careful scientific studies, forgiveness training has been shown to:
• reduce depression
• increase hopefulness
• decrease anger and anxiety
• heal relationships
• increase emotional self-confidence
• improve compassion
• increase personal growth
• improve quality of life
• People who are more forgiving report fewer health and mental problems.
• Forgiveness leads to fewer physical symptoms of stress.
• Failure to forgive may be more important than hostility as a risk factor for heart disease.
• People who blame other people for their troubles have higher incidences of illness, such as cardiovascular disease and cancer.
• People who imagine not forgiving someone show negative changes in blood pressure, muscle tension, and immune response.
• People who imagine forgiving their offenders note immediate improvement in their cardiovascular, muscular, and nervous systems.
• People express a sense of improved spiritual well-being.
• Even people with devastating losses can learn to forgive and feel better psychologically and emotionally.
~Adapted from Dr. Fred Luskin's highly acclaimed book Forgive for Good
Thus, we see the obvious power of forgiveness. My personal research of over 10 years has shown even more extraordinary results. Please go to Myths on Forgiveness for the statement of this work.
Additional reasons for my good results include:
• Overcoming the defense mechanisms of the mind that prevent forgiveness.
• The major importance that I put on self-forgiveness.
The point of forgiving is to be free of the pain of an upset that has occurred in the past. Thus, self-forgiving is always essential because guilt from past actions is destructive to mind, body, and spirit.